Flag of El Salvador

El Salvador - Frequently Asked Questions

Language: English | Spanish

Speeches Shim

What is USAID?

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is an independent agency that provides economic, development, and humanitarian assistance around the world in support of the foreign policy goals of the United States.

Where is USAID/El Salvador located?

The USAID mission to El Salvador is located in the U.S. Embassy San Salvador compound at Final Boulevard Santa Elena, Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad, El Salvador.

What is USAID/El Salvador's phone number?

The main telephone number is (503) 2501-2999.

I am a student majoring in International Affairs. I am writing a research paper and need to know more about USAID.

USAID is an independent federal government agency responsible for providing economic and humanitarian assistance around the globe. To read more about USAID and the history of foreign assistance, click here.

I would like information on USAID’s support to El Salvador through the years.

The United States has provided over $4.4 billion in development assistance through USAID and its predecessor U.S. Government programs. You may find more information on the History of USAID in El Salvador section in this website.

I would like information on U.S. foreign aid policy. I would like to know how much the American taxpayer is giving to each country and how it is being spent.

The United States has a long history of extending a helping hand to those people overseas struggling to make a better life, recover from a disaster, or live in a free and democratic country. It is this caring that stands as a hallmark of the United States around the world--and shows the world our true character as a nation.

U.S. foreign assistance has always had the twofold purpose of furthering America's foreign policy interests in expanding democracy and free markets while improving the lives of the citizens of the developing world. Spending less than one-half of 1 percent of the federal budget, USAID works around the world to achieve these goals.

The USAID Congressional Budget Justification (formerly referred to as the Congressional Presentation) provides statistical information on the foreign assistance programs and activities implemented by USAID. If you are looking for historical data on U.S. foreign assistance activities, you can refer to the USAID publication U.S. Overseas Loans and Grants, Obligations and Loan Authorizations that contains the financial history of the U.S. foreign assistance programs back to 1949.

I'm interested in employment with USAID/El Salvador. Where can I find information on vacancies?

For information on employment at USAID/El Salvador, please visit our Vacany Annoucements section in the USAID website.

I am interested in knowing more about USAID study scholarships offered to international students and how to apply for them.

USAID does not provide tuition grants or scholarships to individuals. Such applicants should contact the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

You may also visit the following USAID website to find out other ways that you may be able to obtain tuition assistance.

Could you provide me with a list of private voluntary and non-governmental organizations working with USAID?

The USAID Office of Private and Voluntary Cooperation (PVC) publication, Report of Voluntary Agencies Engaged in Overseas Relief and Development (VolAg Report) 2013 can be found here.

This comprehensive report lists all private voluntary organizations (PVOs) registered with USAID. The report describes each PVO's mission and activities, and contains financial data that is provided by each PVO during the annual registration process. The VolAg Report contains key contact information for each PVO, including the name of its executive officer, mailing address, telephone, fax, email, and website.

We are a U.S. non-profit organization and would like to know how we can get funding for our programs from USAID.

All USAID solicitations are posted on the USAID Business & Procurement Internet site. Instructions on how to apply for each program are contained in each solicitation. Each solicitation also includes a point of contact and contact information. If you are interested in submitting an unsolicited proposal for USAID review, follow instructions provided in the Partnering with USAID section of this website. You may also read more information in the Guide to USAID's Assistance Application Process and to Submitting Unsolicited Assistance Applications.

In addition, the USAID Office of Private and Voluntary Cooperation (PVC) offers programs specifically targeted to a subsector of"non-profit organizations-- U.S. private voluntary organizations (PVOs). The Office of PVC provides direct support to efforts made by the U.S. PVO community and by its local partner non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to address critical needs in developing countries and emerging democracies. The primary way the Office of PVC supports its mission is through the competitive grant programs. If you are a PVO and would like to work with the Office of PVC or USAID overseas, you must register with USAID. Information on PVC and PVO registration can be accessed on the Private Voluntary Organization Registration page.

If you are a non-profit organization based in El Salvador, you should contact USAID/El Salvador at webmaster_es@usaid.gov.

Where can I find information on doing business with USAID/El Salvador?

Worldwide business opportunities (solicitations) can be found on the USAID business site here. This page also contains Agency guidance governing USAID grants, contracts and other implementing mechanisms. Additionally, the USAID Acquisition and Assistance Ombudsman is available to answer questions at Ombudsman@usaid.gov or the A&A Ombudsman homepage. You may also find more information on the Partnering with USAID section of this website.

I would like to ask permission to use materials (texts and/or images) from your website in my presentation or publication.

Unless a copyright is indicated, information on this website is in the public domain and may be reproduced, published, or otherwise used without USAID's permission. We request that USAID be cited as the source of the information and that any photo credits or bylines be similarly credited to the photographer, author, or USAID as appropriate.

If a copyright is indicated on a photo, graphic, or any other material, permission to copy these materials must be obtained from the original source.